Industrial hemp field days scheduled
BISMARCK - The North Dakota Department of Agriculture and three pilot producers in NDDA's industrial hemp pilot program will co-host industrial hemp field days in August.
BISMARCK – The North Dakota Department of Agriculture and three pilot producers in NDDA’s industrial hemp pilot program will co-host industrial hemp field days in August.
“The pilot program allows producers to grow industrial hemp for the purposes of agricultural or academic research,” said Agriculture Commissioner Doug Goehring. “The program’s primary goal is to increase our knowledge of how industrial hemp fits into the existing agriculture landscape and economy.”
Attendees will have a chance to look at the fields, learn more about the production of industrial hemp and ask questions.
The field days are scheduled as follows:
- Wednesday, August 2 from 9-11 a.m. at the Gary Warner Farm, 10579 Old Hwy. 81, Pembina – Directions: Meet at the Warner Farms shop. To get there take exit 212 off of I-29. Take a right and the Warner Farms shop is just right off the exit. The group will caravan to the industrial hemp field which is approximately 4 miles away.
- Thursday, August 3 from 9-11 a.m. at the David Lommen Farm, 3137 51st Ave. NE, Maddock.
- Friday, August 4 from 9-11 a.m. at the Clarence Laub Farm, 6950 76th St. SW, Elgin.
Speakers in attendance will include:
- Wednesday, August 2 – Ken Anderson, Legacy Hemp, provider of x-59 hemp variety
- Thursday, August 3 and Friday, August 4 - Jeff Kostuik, Director of Operations for central Canada, U.S. and international with Hemp Genetics International
Industrial hemp can be used for oil, fiber, textiles, recycling, automotive, furniture, food, paper, construction materials and personal care.
Warner is conducting research on market development. Lommen is researching direct seeding into stubble, using hemp as a transition tool to organic and pollinator research. Laub is researching crop rotation, how hemp does on different soil types, field techniques and marketing of food grade products.