SUPERIOR, Nebraska — Two people were killed and one was injured after an employee who had been fired from a Nebraska grain elevator returned with a gun and opened fire.

According to the Nebraska State Patrol, Agrex Inc. employees Sandra Nelson, 60, of Formoso, Kansas, and Darin Koepke, 53, of Hadar, Nebraska, were killed in the shooting on Thursday, Oct. 22 in Superior, Nebraska. Another employee, who has not been identified, was shot but has been treated and released for the injuries.

According to the NSP, law enforcement was called to the elevator at 2 p.m. Thursday for a report of an active shooter. Upon arrival, they found one person dead and multiple people injured, including the reported shooter.

Through investigation, officers learned Max Hoskinson, 61 of Superior, had been an employee of the elevator but was terminated earlier in the day. Shortly before 2 p.m., he returned with a handgun and opened fire, striking three people, a statement from NSP said. Another employee, who has not been identified, retrieved a shotgun and fired at Hoskinson, who later died at the hospital in Superior.

"In consultation with the Nebraska Attorney General’s Office and the Nuckolls County Attorney’s Office, no charges are anticipated in relation to the employee who returned fire in protection of himself and other innocent parties present at the time of the incident," the NSP statement said.

Newsletter signup for email alerts

The NSP said Nelson was pronounced dead at the scene. Koepke was flown to Bryan Health West Campus in Lincoln where he was later pronounced dead.

Agrex Inc. is a full-service agricultural commodity trading company with administrative offices in Overland Park, Kansas. Besides the location in Superior, they also run other grain elevators in Nebraska, Indiana, Ohio and Alabama, trading offices in Indiana, Tennessee, Ohio, Minnesota, Georgia, Washington, Nebraska, Alabama and Kansas, and a hay facility in Washington.

"On Thursday, October 21, there was a violent incident at an Agrex facility in Superior, Nebraska. Our thoughts and prayers are with our coworkers and their families affected by this incident. At this time, the incident is being investigated and therefore we are not able to offer any further comments," a statement from the company said.