Harvest to be celebrated in Sabin
There will be corn shucking, sugar beet bowling, cucumber car racing and tomato throwing, all part of the fall food festivities Friday and Saturday during Harvest Days in Sabin, Minn.
The town, about nine miles southeast of Moorhead, will be host to some unique events, beginning Friday at 6 p.m. with a corn shucking contest, sugar beet bowling and Hammerschlagen ("Hammer-Striking"), a German game that involves hammering a nail into a stump. The evening continues with a corn feed at 7 p.m.
Saturday brings a pancake feed from 7 to 10 a.m., an all-day street fair and steam engines and car shows.
A parade begins at 11 a.m., with activities including a dunk tank, hair braiding and inflatable games running throughout the day.
Saturday afternoon includes a Wiffle ball tournament and water fights at noon, a scavenger hunt at 12:30 p.m. and cucumber car racing, tomato throwing and horse and carriage rides at 1 p.m.
The festival finishes up with a street dance featuring The Roosters beginning at 8:30 p.m.
Other events around the region this week include:
- Turkey Barbecue, Ulen, Minn., Friday through Sunday. The 49th annual celebration starts with a children's theater, a talent show and a teen dance on Friday evening. Saturday brings a 5K walk/run, a kiddie parade at 11:30 a.m. followed by a parade at 1 p.m., inflatable games, a car show and a street dance. The Shadows will also hold a concert at 6:30 p.m. A pancake breakfast Sunday morning ends the festivities.
- Pioneer Days, Bonanzaville, West Fargo, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and noon to 5 p.m. Sunday. Music and demonstrations of the pioneer experience fill the two-day event, which has a pioneer costume contest both days at 1:30 p.m., followed by parades at 2. One-day admission is $10 for adults and $5 for children. Two-day passes are $15 for adults and $8 for children.
- Grape Harvest Festival, Red Trail Vineyard, Buffalo, N.D., Saturday. Gates open for the wine and grape festival at noon, and events include live entertainment, walking tours of the vineyard and a grape stomping competition at 4:45 p.m. Pre-registration for the competition at the gate is required. Admission is $20 and includes one free beverage and access to a wine and cheese tasting tent.
- Rosholt Threshing Bee, Rosholt, S.D., Saturday and Sunday. The celebration features a RATA Wheels and Steels show, horse show and kiddie parade on Saturday. Sunday brings kids games, tractor pulls, demonstrations and a parade at noon. The South Dakota State Historical Society exhibit, "Drawn to the Land: Homesteading Dakota," will also be on display.
- Heritage Days, Heritage Village, East Grand Forks, Minn., Saturday and Sunday. A pancake breakfast, a parade at 9:30 a.m. and various bandstand acts begin the cultural celebration Saturday. Sunday features a meatball dinner, children's activities and an antique tractor pull, as well as various exhibits. Admission is $8 pre-sale or $10 at the gate, with ages 12 and under free.
If you go
- What: Harvest Days
- When: Friday and Saturday
- Where: Sabin, Minn.
Readers can reach Forum reporter Emily Hartley at (701) 235-7311