Iowa welcomes new hog facility
SIOUX CITY, Iowa -- Construction is well underway for a new pork processing plant, located in Sioux City, Iowa. Seaboard Triumph Foods is a joint venture between Seaboard Foods and Triumph Foods, on track to begin production in July 2017. Sioux C...
SIOUX CITY, Iowa - Construction is well underway for a new pork processing plant, located in Sioux City, Iowa.
Seaboard Triumph Foods is a joint venture between Seaboard Foods and Triumph Foods, on track to begin production in July 2017.
Sioux City has always had an active agricultural industry base, and is located in the No. 1 state for raising hogs.
"This plant will have a huge impact on the local economy," says Marty Dougherty, city economic development director. "It is a source for capital investments, jobs, tax revenue and spinoff benefits to other businesses. In addition, it will boost the overall agricultural economy in the region."
The total cost to construct the plant is $264 million, making it the largest economic project located in Sioux City.
According to Mark Porter, COO, and Irving Jensen, director of communications, community relations, government affairs and purchasing, the city has been instrumental in the planning process.
"The city has been absolutely wonderful to work with," Porter says. "They've made the process as easy and straightforward as possible, and everything has gone very smooth."
When the Sioux City John Morrell plant closed in 2010, approximately 1,300 workers were laid off. At the time, they had been the largest employer in the area. The Seaboard Triumph Foods plant will employ 1,100 people upon opening, with the possibility to double if a second shift is added in the future.
"The city has been actively recruiting for a new company to come in since the John Morrell plant closed in 2010," Jensen says.
Located on 250 acres in the Bridgeport West industrial park, the site is near rail access and the interstate.
The plant will process pork into a variety of fresh products, as dictated by demand. Seaboard Foods, one of the parent companies, will market the products in food service, retail and export industries.
"Right now, we're looking forward to a very aggressive recruiting and hiring process," Porter says. "We are very excited to get rocking and rolling with the first shift as soon as the plant opens."
The site was selected because of the shovel-ready location, availability of hogs in the area, location of support industries and infrastructure. There was also support from city leaders and the Iowa Economic Development Authority.
The Iowa Economic Development Authority also played a huge role in bringing the plant to Sioux City. Jensen commends the IEDA for what they do and continue to do for the state and the small communities of Iowa.
As part of the Sioux initiative, infrastructure was evaluated under a traffic study. They study was 80 percent covered by grant funds, with the other 20 percent coming from Seaboard Triumph Foods and Sioux City. Improvements based on this study are currently underway.
The city also recently finished improvements to wastewater facilities.
The community of Sioux City has been positive about the addition of the new plant. According to Jensen, the company strives to be a good corporate citizen.
"They've already proven to be great community partners by supporting local events and charities," Dougherty says.