PIERRE, S.D. — The South Dakota Department of Health reported a total of 1,242 active cases of COVID-19 on Saturday, May 16, down 27 from Friday.
There are 75 people hospitalized for COVID-19, down five from Friday and recoveries from the illness caused by the coronavirus are at 2,673, which is an increase Friday.
The state has reported a total of 3,959 positive cases, up 72 from Friday. The number of deaths in the state as a result from COVID-19 remained at 44, according to the department of health.
Minnehaha County leads the state in active cases with 928 active cases. Here's a look at other counties:
- Brown County has 107 active cases.
- Lincoln County has 50 active cases.
- Pennington County has 34 active cases.
- Union County has 18 active cases.
- Beadle County has nine active cases.
- Oglala Lakota County has eight active cases.
This article will be updated. As a public service, we’ve opened this article to everyone regardless of subscription status. If this coverage is important to you, please consider supporting local journalism by clicking on the subscribe button in the upper righthand corner of the homepage.