A thick fog muffles Buffalo Ridge, the gusty plateau stretching diagonally from the Dakotas through southwestern Minnesota and into Iowa, and you can hardly see Dan Juhl’s crop of whirling turbines until the great white trunks are upon you.
A pair of 200-foot towers have been installed near Avon to determine whether the area is suitable for building a wind farm.
B&H Wind of Avon put up the towers, which will measure wind speed and direction, temperature and barometic pressure for the next two to three years.
Basin Electric Power Cooperative is seeking approval from the state Public Service Commission for 77 wind turbines south of Minot. Commissioners say the Air Force and other federal agencies also are involved.
The Crow Creek Sioux Tribe has created a new company called Sioux Wind to generate electricity from wind turbines that would be built on or near the tribe’s reservation in central South Dakota.
The tribe will own 80 percent of the new company. The other 20 percent will be owned by Dalton Creations of Houston, which will lead the effort to raise $15 million from investors to launch the wind farm.
By Chet Brokaw, The Associated Press
, May 19, 2009
View your ad here! Cost effective targeted advertising. Contextual advertising starting as low as $79/month. This includes targeted ad delivery and search results! Add your business to the Marketplace »