Advertise in Print | Subscriptions
Published December 08, 2013, 12:00 AM

Basketball team


Before Esko had a name, early sports teams were known as “Lincoln,” for Lincoln High School, as indicated by the “LHS” on the ball. Superintendent A.L. Winterquist, the first coach, later wrote, “We went to games at Cromwell, Barnum and Moose Lake in the old Model T Ford truck. Sometimes we were sick from carbon monoxide gas and sometimes we were stuck in snow drifts.” Team members in 1923 are (front row, from left) Edwin Fredrickson, Nestor Lahti and Charles Mannila and (back row, from left) coach Winterquist, William Sarkela, Otto Korby, Karjalainen (first name not known), James Harney and John S. Hendrickson. Photo courtesy of Esko Historical Society
Read the article: Esko book hits the pages of history