Advertise in Print | Subscriptions
Published December 08, 2013, 12:00 AM

Esko family


Community namesake Alex Esko, his wife Eva and family pose in front of their house just west of the Midway River in the early 1890s. A native of Finland, Alex came to the U.S. in 1880, settled in Thomson and became a railroad land agent. In 1919 he built a general store at the intersection of today’s Thomson Road and Highway 61. The site became known as Esko’s Corner, the name by which the community was known until the first post office was established in 1935 and named Esko. Photo Courtesy of Esko Historical Society
Read the article: Esko book hits the pages of history