It’s all about spuds at Barnesville’s Potato Days festivalFew festivals run with a theme like Potato Days, Friday and Saturday in Barnesville, Minn.
By: Sherri Richards, INFORUM
Few festivals run with a theme like Potato Days, Friday and Saturday in Barnesville, Minn.
First, there’s the food. The expected 16,000 attendees can feast on potato pancakes, dumplings, soup, lefse, french fries, mashed potatoes and potato sausage.
And then there’s the spud’s entertainment value. Events include potato picking, peeling, mashed potato wrestling and sculpting and the cook-off contests.
The annual celebration of Barnesville’s potato heritage also includes tater-less festivities. There’s a demolition derby at 7 p.m. Friday, the 5k and 10k Fun Run at 8 a.m. Saturday, a classic car show from 10 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Saturday, dances both nights and the main parade at 5:30 p.m. Saturday.
A complete schedule is at www.potatodays.com.
For more information call the toll-free “spud” line at (800) 525-4901.
Other events happening around the region this week include:
- Ransom County Fair, Thursday through Aug. 30, Lisbon, N.D. Four-day fair includes parade, livestock judging, carnival, demolition derby, entertainment and food. For details, visit www.ransomcountyfair.com.
- Uffda Days, Friday and Saturday, Muskie Park, Nevis, Minn. Craft and flea market, kids games, parade, music and food. Call (218) 732-4111 or visit www.parkrapids.com for more information.
- Island Park Show, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Saturday and Aug. 30, Fargo. Arts and crafts show in the downtown park features 180 booths, plus music and entertainment. For details, call (701) 241-8160 or visit www.fargoparks.com.
- Finn Creek Festival, Saturday and Aug. 30, Finn Creek Outdoor Museum, New York Mills, Minn. Annual celebration of Finnish culture includes grain threshing, petting zoo, entertainment and food. Old-time tractor parade and tractor pull are on Aug. 30. Call (218) 385-2233 for details.
- Bluegrass Festival, 4 to 8 p.m. Aug. 30, Atonement Lutheran Church, 1009 12th Ave. N.E., Jamestown, N.D. Local bluegrass and country bands perform during annual fundraiser. Call (701) 252-4208.
Readers can reach Forum reporter Sherri Richards at (701) 241-5556