Advertise in Print | Subscriptions
Published December 26, 2013, 02:44 PM

Corps says lawsuit against diversion has no merit

Attorneys for the federal government are asking a judge to throw out a lawsuit by a group opposed to the current Red River diversion plan in North Dakota and Minnesota.

By: Associated Press,

FARGO, N.D. — Attorneys for the federal government are asking a judge to throw out a lawsuit by a group opposed to the current Red River diversion plan in North Dakota and Minnesota.

The Richland-Wilkin Joint Powers Authority in September filed a complaint against the nearly $2 billion project, which would move water around Fargo and require a staging area south of the metropolitan area in times of high water.

The group has said it is not trying to stop the project but wants the corps to come up with a cheaper plan that doesn’t flood farmland in Richland County in North Dakota and neighboring Wilkin County in Minnesota.

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers said in its response filed earlier this week that other options were studied and the group has failed to make a valid claim.

Tags: