Advertise in Print | Subscriptions
Published June 30, 2010, 12:45 PM

Paul calls again for curb on farm subsidies

FRANKFORT, Ky. — Republican U.S. Senate candidate Rand Paul has called for cutting waste from the federal farm subsidy program.

FRANKFORT, Ky. — Republican U.S. Senate candidate Rand Paul has called for cutting waste from the federal farm subsidy program.

Paul criticized the subsidies Wednesday in an interview on WHAS-AM in Louisville, saying that the program last year paid $9.1 million to 234 dead farmers in the Miami area.

The Bowling Green eye doctor also urged that subsidies be stopped to 2,700 farmers who he said make more than $2 million a year.

Paul’s Democratic opponent, Kentucky Attorney General Jack Conway, has been criticizing Paul for his opposition to the subsidies. In a heavily agricultural state like Kentucky, Paul’s stand could alienate farmers, an important voting bloc.

Paul also criticized the federal government for giving $1 billion to farmers to leave their cropland fallow. He said: “I don’t think that’s a good idea, to pay people not to farm.”

Tags: