Advertise in Print | Subscriptions
Published August 12, 2009, 09:35 AM

Cleanup follows Dickinson trash baler fire

Fire Chief Bob Sivak says trash on the baler's conveyer belt ignited Tuesday, filling the building with heavy smoke and leaving a thick layer of soot on everything.

By: Associated Press,

DICKINSON, N.D. — Sanitation workers in Dickinson are cleaning up after a fire at the city's trash baling facility.

Fire Chief Bob Sivak says trash on the baler's conveyer belt ignited Tuesday, filling the building with heavy smoke and leaving a thick layer of soot on everything.

Sivak says the baler and the conveyer also suffered heat damage.

Ron Bachmeier, senior public works specialist, says damages might total $120,000.

Bachmeier believes something must have been smoldering in the garbage for hours. He says an employee walked by the trash before leaving at about 8 p.m. Monday and did not smell smoke. The fire alarm went off just after 2 a.m. Tuesday.

___

Tags: